A cook book designed to help every cook make delicious meals with the harvest from the skies.
Cooking secrete one:
~ Bacon is the candy of the meat group.
Barbeque Goose Sandwiches
Soak 4 halved goose breast fillet's in cold salt water and get as much of the blood out as possible from the meat.
What you will need:
Gal Apple Cider
Your Best BBQ Sauce
Fresh Bakery Onion Rolls
A big crockpot STEPS:
1) Drain and pat dry meat,
2) Place in crockpot,
3) Add apple cider,
4) Cook on low for at least 6 hours (the longer the better),
5) Stir occasionally,
6) Drain the cider.
7) Shred the meat with a fork, (remove any bird shot),
8) Add BBQ Sauce (as thick as you like).
9) Put on the rolls along with coleslaw, fresh tomato, and a big pickle slice.
Cooking Secrete Two:
Small and thin cuts of waterfowl that has been pounded with a meat tenderizer mallet should describe the meat you are preparing if you want easy chewing sandwiches.
Philly Goosey Cheese Sandwiches
1) Slice goose breast 1/8" thick, pound it with a tenderizer mallet, marinade in beer for a minimum of 4 hours at room tempature.
2) Place cut breasts in skillet with marinade on low heat.
3) Add two strips of bacon and cook until tender.
4) Fry sweet and yellow onions and some sweet peppers in pan with goose.
5) As goose cooks, put on top of onions and peppers.
6) Make your cheesy sauce;
7) 1 cup milk
8) 1/3 stick of butter
9) 1⁄2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese,
10) 1/4 cup pepper jack cheese
11) 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese,
12) Shredded 1/4 stick of cream cheese
13)Garlic Salt, and pepper to taste
Butter hoggie buns and toast under broiler
Load the toasted buns and get messy!
Cooking Secrete Three:
Slow……really slow cooking of waterfowl is needed to make sure the meat is tender and tasty.
Portobello Mushroom Mallard
1) Breast meat of 2 puddle ducks and cut into small chunks.
2) Add 3 cans Cream of Mushroom soup into the crock pot.
3) Stir in 1 packet brown gravy mix.
4) Add one pack of Portobello mushroom caps sliced into chunks.
5) Stir occasionally.
6) Cook for at least 6 hours and more is better.
7) Serve over backed or mashed potatoes.
Cooking Secrete Four:
Onions, cheese, and bacon improves EVERYTHING!
Blue Cheese Duck Grilled Sandwiches
1) Cut two large duck breasts into six filets (thin).
2) Cut these filets into strips (thin).
3) Grill in a skillet with bacon (two stripes for each sandwich).
4) Add diced onions and cook on medium low heat.
5) Separate fresh hoggie bun and butter with garlic butter and salt.
6) Toast in the oven under the broiler.
7) After light toasting, place pepper jack cheese on one side of the hoggie and blue cheese on the other (be light on blue cheese).
8) Melt under the broiler.
9) Load the sandwich first one piece of bacon on each side of the hoggie bun and then onions and duck strips.
10) Squeeze together and devour!
Cooking Secrete Five:
Chilli is best the second time it is reheated
Above Average Waterfowler Chilli
1) Brown 3.5lbs small chunked duck in a pan with one strip small cut up bacon
2) Strain the meat and place in crook pot.
3) Add 3 medium onions diced small
4) Ad 1 garlic roughly minced
5) Add 3 cans diced tomatos with peppers
6) 5 tablespoons fresh roasted ground cummin powder,
7) 3 tablespoons chili powder
8) 2 tablespoons course salt
9) 1 tablespoon ground cayenne
10) 3 fresh jalapenos seeded and diced
11) 6 ounce can of diced green chilis
12) 1 can beef consume
13)2 cans beer,
14) A shot glass apple cider vinegar
15) 1 can Chilli beans
16)1 can butter beans
17) I can black beans
18) Cook in crock pot on medium for about 6 hours.
19) Stir occasionally.
20) Put chedder cheese on bottom of each bowl and cover with chili and serve with crackers.
Cooking Secrete Six:
Sauce can make the meal!
Goose Breast Roulade
2 cups sliced mushrooms
4 goose breasts filets
Salt and pepper
A few strips of red bell pepper
4 slices of Monterey jack cheese
1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
12-16 slices prosciutto or bacon
2/3 cup red wine
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons butter
1. Heat a teaspoon of olive oil and lightly brown mushrooms then transfer to a paper towel.
2. Preheat oven to 425, beat each breast with a mallet until about pencil thin and rub with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. Place an even layer of spinach leaves across the meat. Add 1 strip of pepper, 1/4 cup of mushrooms, cheese and then breadcrumbs. Roll it up like a burrito.
4. Lay out 2 strips of bacon for each breast. Roll bacon around rolled up breast.
5. Heat a large oven proof skillet and brown the rolls for 3-4 minutes. Add half of the wine and cook for 2 more minutes. Place on middle oven rack for 7-8 minutes or until proscuitto or bacon is lightly browned.
6.Remove the rolls from the pan and add remaining wine and vinegar. Stir to loosen bits and reduce liquid to 2-3 tablespoons and mix in butter.
7. Pour sauce on rolls
Cooking Secrete Seven:
BBQ turns waterfowl meat into Great Sandwich meat!
Damm Good BBQ Mustered Sauce
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.
Cooking Secrete Eight:
The older the fowler, the more appreciative they are of great biscuits!
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 cups buttermilk
5 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup lard or butter, chilled
1 tablespoon melted butter
Have all ingredients except lard at room temperature.
Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water with a pinch of sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles large peas.
Stir buttermilk and yeast mixture into the dry ingredients until just blended; do not overmix.
On a clean surface dusted lightly with flour, turn out dough and knead lightly.
Roll out 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and cut, using an old fashioned glass or a biscuit cutter.
Arrange on baking sheet; close together, but not touching for softer sided biscuits or 1 inch or so for more crisp sided biscuits.
Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, or about 45 minutes.
Brush with melted butter.
Bake in a preheated 450°F oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Cooking Secrete Nine:
Jalapeno peppers and waterfowl are great together.
Crowd Favorite Poppers
Breast ducks and cut against the bias into thin pieces. They should be about as wide as the bacon and half as long. I like to cut them no more than 1/8" thick.
Place duck on bacon and add a little seasoning. I like Pappy's. Place a small piece of sweet onion and a thin piece Jalapeño. You can leave out or add bell pepper if no one likes spicy. Roll and run a tooth-pick through the bacon, onion and Jalapeño. BBQ on a hot BBQ until the bacon is cooked, maybe 5-8 minutes Let stand 5-minutes before serving. They go fast.
We have added a small dab of cream cheese, or BBQ sauce, or minced garlic, or teriyaki sauce.
Cooking Secrete ten:
Food on a stick off the BBQ can’t go wrong.